Every time I pass the ground chicken in the grocery store, I pause and think, I really need to make more things with ground chicken. Then I usually keep walking. Last week however, I grabbed a package and decided to make burgers. If you’ve used ground chicken before, you will understand when I say it’s VERY sticky. Very goopy. Very messy. BUT, if you can get past that, you can transform a $6 package into the most glorious, FLAVOUR packed delight you’ve ever had. A total twist on the every day burger, and buns aren’t even needed!
Mix and Match the “Extras”
Don’t be afraid to mix and match the “accessories”. Some of my favourite additions to the burgers include:
- Pine nuts
- Minced shallot
- Bread crumbs
- Caramelized onion
Flavour Up Your Mayo
Regular mayo is delicious, but with just a few quick choices, you can change the whole taste of the burger to make it amazing! Start with 1/2 c of mayo and add in one or more of the following:
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ketchup + 1 squirt of relish + squirt of yellow mustard + = “big mac sauce”
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, flavour of your choice = “taste of Italy”
- 1 tbsp peanut butter + 1 tbsp of cider vinegar + 1 tsp sesame oil = Asian “satay”
- Once you’ve formed the patties, let them chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Not only does this give the ingredients a chance to settle in, but the patties themselves have a chance to “set up”.
- If you are pan frying the burgers, make sure you add a little water to the pan, then pop a lid on JUST for a few minutes. This steam will help progress the cooking faster, and make a more even cook.
- Make sure you cook on medium, to medium high only. Watch the pan so they don’t burn
- Don’t make your patties TOO thick, or the outer crust will form before the insides are cooked!
Chicken Basil Balsamic Burgers
A deliciously juicy chicken burger packed with the flavours of basil, parmesan and balsamic. Buns are optional!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp basil fresh or powder
- 1 tsp garlic fresh or powder
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- olive oil for frying
- 1/2 c mayo
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 pinch salt/pepper
Add ground chicken to bowl.
Add parm, bread crumbs, basil, garlic, balsamic glaze, salt, pepper to bowl.
Mix to combine (don't overmix) and form into 4 patties.
Let rest in fridge for about 30 minutes, freeze the patties you're not cooking today. **separate with parchment
Pan fry in a little oil until cooked through and caramelized on both sides.
Combine your mayo with basil and top your burgers. Enjoy! Meg xo
I would love to see how yours turn out, send me a pic or tag me @Tuckermeg on Instagram! #megtuckertalks
Want more chicken? Try my Chicken Lazone!
Enjoy, Meg xo